History


Korsholm is first mentioned in historical documents in 1348. The granite cross at the ruins of Korsholm castle (Chrysseborg) is a symbol representing the introduktion of Christianity into this part of Finland - Ostrobothnia - when occupied by the Swedes. The caste built in the 1370's was the seat of temporla power of the Swedes. For serveral hundreds of years, all of Ostrobothnia, and, at times, that which is now Västerbotten in Sweden were governed from here.

In the 1550's, King Gustav Wasa, established a royal farm here to act as a model for the farmers of the area. In 1606, the community was provlaimed a city which was subsequently given the royal family name, Vasa. The largely timber-built city was destroyed by fire in 1852 and was rebuilt in its present location. Old Vasa with the ramparts of Corsholm Castle and the ruins of the 14th century St Maria Church is today a popular tourist attraction.

In 1973, five contiguous locally governed communities were amalgamated to form the present Korsholm. Of the 17 400 inhibitants 70 % have Swedish and 30 % have Finnish as their mother tongue. Korsholm has an area of approximately 2.800 km2 and - with its coastal location and extensive archipelago, it has a long coastline, approximately 1.500 km.


More information:
Linda Pada 
Tel. +358 (0)6 327 7187
E-mail

Last updated 8.6.2006

IMG TOOLS
IMG Print Page
IMG Smaller text
IMG Back


© Korsholm Municipality 2004–2012.   
Designed to sell