The stone bridge at Toby is the second oldest stone bridge still in use in Finland. With its twin arches, its 85 m length and 5,5 m width, it is a fine example of the bridge-building techniques of the 18th century. It was a bold project for its time and place and doubts were then expressed about its design. Would it remain standing when the centring was removed? The work of removing the centring was assigned to life-time prisoners from the local gaol – they were promised their freedom if they succeeded without the bridge collapsing. We see the result – and the bridge has been in daily use since the year of its construction, 1781.
More information:Matias Båsk Tel. +358 (0)6 327 7121 E-mail